Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Back on the Horse

Ok, well, so financial stuff is sorted.  I'll do another post one of these days to explain what we decided and how and all of that.  But in the meantime, just wanted to post a more basic update.   We're on target for starting the process of IVF on the first day of my next period (so about 3 weeks from now).  It's a 2-month cycle, so the first month will be me on birth control pills, primarily, and getting everything sorted and ready for the following menstrual cycle to include actual IVF.  IVF should happen around mid-October, if the cycle isn't cancelled and everything goes according to plan.  There are so many variables and it's all a little confusing and overwhelming at the moment.

For now, we have an appointment with Dr. Tran to talk about the details of what our IVF plan will be.  He'll go over the results of our most recent tests with us and tell us what he thinks.  I'm thinking that it'll be IVF with ICSI (where they inject the sperm directly into the eggs).  But we'll know more about that and about what meds he wants me on after our appointment, which is on the 22nd.

There are some medications (Z-Pak) that Ian and I will take ASAP (as soon as I get to the pharmacy to pick them up).  I'll also pick up the birth control pills right away so I have them and am ready to start them on day 2 of my next cycle.

I have a phone date with the nurse to go over an IVF calender that she'll have put together after our conversation with Dr. Tran.  Then she'll order us our medications and we'll take an IVF Injection Orientation and move on from there.

I'm not gonna lie - it's been really nice to have a break from all of this.  I have enjoyed not going to the doctor constantly and I have not missed the needles.  I have actually been able to think about other things, and to feel light and free and happy once in awhile.  But, of course, this has all still been in the back of my mind and I've been anxious to get back at it.  Because we still have no idea how much longer it's going to take before we become parents and how much more we have to go through.  So a couple month delay seems like not a big deal in some ways, but it also seems like a huge deal when I imagine the possibility of IVF not working - but us going through several cycles of it...then having to move on to other options, like adoption, which takes time time time as well.

tick tock tick tock tick tock.

In the meantime there's a whole new batch of people excited about the prospect of us potentially being pregnant at the same time.  I feel like I've missed two batches worth of people already, so I am not holding my breath.  But wouldn't it be nice if something just worked for us?  This time next year will I still be trying to figure this all out or will I be holding a wee new baby or something in between?  This time last year I certainly assumed something different for the right now than is actually happening.  Two years ago I thought I'd surely at least be pregnant a year later, let alone two years later.  Still hopeful.  We shall see.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are starting to fall into place for your IVF cycle!

    www.auntmimi2010.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! It's nice to quit the waiting and start the baby-makin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with it! I know it's a bit daunting but also great to be getting started with it... as they say, I think the 'waiting is the hardest part.' and other such song lyrics. Anyhow, thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete