Friday, July 10, 2015

Baby Mama Drama

Honestly, there is little that stresses me out like getting different information from different people at different times about the same situation.  So, I am anxiously awaiting a return call from a doctor because I was told today that I didn't need any more ultrasounds from the specialists (neonatologists) because everything looks awesome and babies can come at any time now.  Then hours later get a call from the non-specialist regular OB office who had just read my report and wanted to make sure I had another ultrasound scheduled with the specialist for next week.  Of course I missed the call and only heard the voicemail and it is after hours on a Friday.  Grrrr.  Argh.  I have a feeling that whoever called just doesn't know enough of the whole story and whatever, but it is annoying.  If I don't get a call back tonight, I guess we'll figure it out on Monday when I'm in there for my 2x a week Non-Stress Test etc apptment.

ANYHOW.  Backtracking a bit, it has been a dramatic couple of weeks in twin pregnancy land.  Just before 34 weeks my blood pressure started going up and up and up to the point that they almost admitted me right away.   Instead I just got some steroid shots to help babies' lungs develop in case they had to come soon and was sent away to pee in a container for 24 hours (which I did while at a conference all day on Friday).  Here is my doula, Amanda, holding all my pee supplies.

And my pee cooler as I carried it around the Moscone Center.

So, I brought the pee back and it turned out I did have protein in it (which is what they were looking for), but a small enough amount to not freak them out too much.  Just enough that they said they would likely induce me at 37 weeks if nothing had happened sooner because of it = mild pre-eclampsia.  At this point we are going to Labor & Delivery between 2 and 4 times a week and knowing that each time they might just keep me there.  And the babies are going to be OK, but are little and would need to be in the NICU and I would have to deliver at not my hospital, but one with a better NICU etc.  STRESS.

OK.  So, twice a week non-stress tests with lots of blood pressure testing as well as blood & urine labs and all of a sudden, after all this, my blood pressure went back down to more acceptable levels of high and has remained there now for 2 weeks and all my labs are coming back as normal.  Yesterday we asked the doctor and he doesn't think they'd need to induce at 37 weeks unless I start showing other signs of pre-eclampsia (like my blood pressure going higher again).  Phew.  We really weren't sure I was going to make it past 34 weeks for a minute there.  But I did!

Of course with twins they won't let me go much past 38 weeks anyhow, so we're down to the wire either way.

Tomorrow I will be officially 36 weeks, which is sort of what we've been considering my "due date" since it is when twins come, on average.  Here are some things we know:

1.  The babies pass their Non-Stress Tests with flying colors consistently.
2.  The babies have a lot of chest movement and are doing lots of practice breathing in there.
3.  They still have plenty of fluid, each of them, in their sacs.
4.  They get the hiccups a lot.
5.  They also poke me from the inside a lot, making little hard bumps and sometimes making my whole stomach move around.  This is from a couple of weeks ago.  It's hard to catch on film and it is way crazier these days.

6.  Baby A is appx 4lbs 10oz now (our goal was 4 lbs) and Baby B is appx 5lbs 2oz.  They aren't going to be big!  But that's still almost 10 lb of baby + 2 placentas going on in my gut right now.
7.  Hence the size of my gut (this was 2 or 3 days me when I say that it is noticeably bigger already).

8.  They are both head down, which is excellent news.  They are hanging out facing each other in there, which is neither useful or not, but is pretty cute.
9.  I am sort of terrified of just "going into labor".  I just have so no idea what to expect.  I'm still hoping that this will happen (vs an induction).
10. Just got a call back from the doctor an he wants an ultrasound next week just to be overly cautious because of the possible pre-eclampsia, and because twins + discrepancy in their sizes.  He was completely pleased with today's results, in particular the doppler (which shows blood flow from placenta to baby, which is the biggest concern with Baby A).  He is just more cautious than my normal doctor (who is on vacation this week and who I TOTALLY trust and is the head of the department) or than the specialist, but sure...  Better safe than sorry?  I'm OK with that and at least it's an answer and I'm not just totally confused.  So, I'l make an appt when the office opens again on Monday.  Baby A is only in the 7th percentile for weight, so ya know.  A wee one.

So, basically, twin pregnancy is no joke, and there's been a lot of drama lately, but I think we'll all be OK and they will be here soon.