Monday, February 13, 2012

Book Club


Been quiet here on ye olde Ova Achiever blog. I haven't had much to report. I am a ball of nerves lately. Ian and I put an offer in on a house and have been going back and forth over the past week. As of last night we've had an offer accepted and are about to head over during my lunch to give a huge check to the title company.


I have barely been able to sleep and my stomach has been in knots. I wanted the house SO BAD and was so nervous about if we would or wouldn't get it. Now that we have it, I'm nervous about the process and nervous that something will go wrong and we won't get it after all. I'm excited, but also know that this is a huge big deal life change of home ownership, non-city living and the whole shebang.

Aside from this, I've just been waiting for my period to start. I have to call UCSF when that happens and then we get moving on IUI Cycle One. According to the calender where I've been keeping track - today or tomorrow should be the day. But with so much going on in my stomach with this house buying stuff, it's hard to even tell what else is happening in there.

In the meantime, while I sit and wait for the telltale feel of a menstrual cramp, I thought I'd tell you about the three books I've read over the last few months that deal with all this Infertility stuff.


A Few Good Eggs: Two Chicks Dish on Overcoming the Insanity of Infertility
by Julia Vargo and Maureen Regan


This book, while it has a lot of good information, was not the right book for me. There's a certain tone some authors take in their books that really rubs me the wrong way, and this is a perfect example of it. A knowingly talking directly to you like we're good buddies obnoxiousness that I can't stand. I don't need my advice coming from someone trying to pretend she's my good girlfriend and yelling at me for making the wrong choices because she knows better. It just doesn't work for me. BUT, if you are the type of gal (or dude) that loved the book, Skinny Bitch, for example, this might be right up your alley. And it does achieve what it intends - it gives you a look at the insanity of infertility and a sense of what to expect on this journey. And it has some really helpful tips on how to navigate a lot of aspects of this journey - from money and choosing a doctor to talking about it with friends and family to mood swings and your relationship.


Good Eggs: A Memoir by Phoebe Potts

I love a good graphic novel, so I was super excited when I found out this one existed. A great little book showing the ups and mostly downs (in this case) of Infertility. Phoebe Potts does a really wonderful job of showing her emotional state through several rounds of treatment. The only warning I give about this book, is that she doesn't get the happy ending you might be (I was) looking for. But it is laugh-out-loud and cry-out-loud and deeply personal.

Waiting for Daisy: A Tale of Two Continents, Three Religions, Five Infertility Doctors, an Oscar, an Atomic Bomb, a Romantic Night, and One Woman's Quest to Become a Mother by Peggy Orenstein


This one was the winner for me. I think it was exactly what I was looking for. At times gut-wrenching, Peggy Orenstein is no holds barred in terms of the bad and ugly side of infertility. I think this book resonated for me because I relate to her so much. Jewish-raised, bay-area living feminist, 30-something career woman suddenly only able to focus on this one thing - having a baby. I read some reviews on Amazon and Goodreads where people were disgusted by some of the things that she thinks, feels and does during the course of her story. But I felt like every single thing was reasonable, given her circumstances. And I applaud her honesty in terms of coming clean about what this process turned her into. This is not the book to go for in terms of technical and medical information - it's not a how-to book. But in terms of feeling less-alone, it worked wonders.

So, there ya go!

Any other book recommendations for me???

No comments:

Post a Comment